Love the game !! It works really well and it is very fluid. I had lots of fun playing it !
Matchkromia (7DRL 2022)
This game was made in one week for the 7DRL - 2022,
I tried to take the concepts of match-3 games into a roguelike (but not the kind where you match things in a minigame outside the real game).
You can't directly attack enemies, but you can swap with them. If 3 of the same color are aligned, it's a MATCH. You will find tools along your way to help with this task.
Beware, you are also colored ;)
Disclaimer: the balance is meh. Runs are short: 10min. More of a boss rush than a dungeon. I didn't manage to get the time to brew an interesting dungeon map with this mechanic.
Controls are in the game, written at the bottom of the screen.
- At each level, you must kill the Boss (the 4 letters in square). They can't move but can attack (harder). And they continually spawn small enemies.
- You can (and should) move and MATCH along diagonals.
- Type Space to activate time freeze. There is a cooldown (which decreases for each MATCH).
- You gain a bit of life for each MATCH.
- It actually hurts you to get MATCHed. (at least until you find some items).
- The AI never causes a MATCH to happen by itself, even if it would kill you.
- You can inspect things with Enter.
- You can inspect yourself to see your current powers.
- There are 4 levels
Things that I realized after the end of the jam. They don't break the game but certainly are a bit unpleasant.
No, you can't skip the tuto. (sorry)(fixed post jam)
- Yes, you lose life (and die) before you gain life in a match. (sorry)
- Yes, you are hurt instead of being healed at bonus rooms if you are multicolor (at least without other bonuses). (sorry)
- Yes, it is possible to be soft locked when the boss is in a corner (that's rare). (sorry)
The playable version include a small fix I made post-jam (2 days after). The only thing it changes is that you can skip the tutorial once you went through it. I considered it was not a real change to the game since it doesn't affect the first play through, and is just a quality of life for the following ones.
The strictly jam version is available for download (web-no-fix.zip). Extract everything in a folder and open index.html.
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
That is so coooool ! The game imposes a great rhythm while playing, and it feels coherent with the cool music. Bravooo c'est trop cool :)
This was a lot of fun. It was tricky to get the hang of at first, but once I remembered I could move diagonally I was able to make it all the way to the end on my third attempt. The combination of multicolored + not losing health when matched ended up being crucial.
Overall, a very polished, mechanically novel, and (most importantly) fun game!